Les Adieux, solo works of Franz Strauss for horn and piano
John Ericson, horn, and Gail Novak, piano.
Franz Strauss (1822-1905), besides being the father of the composer Richard Strauss, was one of the leading horn virtuosi of the nineteenth century and a composer of importance for the horn. He performed principal horn in the Bavarian Court Orchestra and was professor at the Academy of Music in Munich for many years. This collection features all five of the solo works for horn and piano composed by Franz Strauss which were published during his lifetime. The works recorded on this CD are:
- Franz Strauss: Fantasie über den Sehnsuchtswaltzer von Schubert, Op. 2
- Franz Strauss: Les Adieux
- Robert Schumann: Phantasiestüke, Op. 73
- Franz Strauss: Nocturno, Op. 7
- Franz Strauss: Empfindungen am Meere, Op. 12
- Franz Strauss: Thema und Variationen, Op. 13
- Richard Strauss: Andante, Op. post.